Realistically speaking, leaving a home with lots of memories behind can be a challenging and heartbreaking undertaking. Yet, what’s harder is the idea that you should relocate while maintaining zero waste throughout the transition. However, with piles of unnecessary items and single-use packing materials, the entire moving can be a waste-heavy process.
Fortunately, there are ways to make your house relocation an eco-friendly and zero waste transition. These can include:
- Create A Plan For Your Stuff
Indeed, moving can be a perfect time to get rid of all unwanted items in your old house. And if you want to ensure zero waste for this job, be sure to make a plan for your stuff by figuring out what to do with them before the moving day. Here’s what you can do to eliminate the wastes when you’re relocating:
- Donate: If you have unwanted items that are still in good working condition, donating them to local organizations in your area can be a good idea. Whether they’re pieces of furniture, electronics, home decor, clothing, and many more, you can have these stuff donated to get rid of them without letting them end in the landfills.
- Sell: Another way to guarantee a zero waste relocation is to sell stuff that can still be used by anyone. There are many online marketplaces where you can sell your items easily and quickly. By doing this, you’re able to avoid wastes while earning money on the side.
- Recycle: If you’re unable to donate or sell some of your unwanted stuff, then recycling them can be a good option. All you have to do is look for potential recycle centers and turn over the items to them. By recycling, you can give another purpose to a certain thing without having to throw it out to the trash bin. In doing so, you can ensure an eco-friendly and zero waste moving for you.
- Use What You Already Have
Well, if you have many containers in your house or in apartments for rent in Reno such as laundry baskets, cloth bags, pillow cases, dresser drawers, buckets, and wicker baskets, then you don’t need to purchase more packing supplies to get the most out of your pack space.
Moreover, if you’re looking for a zero waste relocation process, using the containers you already have in your home can be a perfect idea. By utilizing these items for packing and storage purposes, you can reduce the wastes in the landfills while you stay organized throughout the transition.
- Hire A Green Moving Company
You can achieve a zero waste moving experience by working with a green relocation service provider. With eco-friendly professionals like veteranmoversnyc.com or wherever you may be located, at your side, they can help you safeguard the environment by reducing your footprint during the transport. Additionally, there are other important advantages of hiring a green moving company for your move. These can include:
- You can have easy access to low-waste packing materials.
- The moving trucks use biodiesel fuel which is good for the environment as it has less effect on the air around it.
- You can have peace of mind knowing that the money you pay will go to a company that’s committed to good environmental practices.
- Utilize Reusable Packing Materials
When it comes to packing, you don’t need to buy new materials to perform the job. Instead of purchasing bubble wraps which might end up in the landfills after use, you can utilize reusable packing materials to achieve a zero waste moving process. There might be many reusable things in your home that you can use for packing. These can include:
- Newspapers and wrapping papers
- Cloth bags
- Bath towels
- Wash cloths
- Tea towels and many more
With these reusable materials, you can pack your dishes and glasses with an additional layer of protection. Also, if you’re packing a television set, you can use your extra beddings to protect it during the transit.
- Avoid Packing Tapes If Necessary
The packing tapes you use in moving will only add to your wastes after the transition. Moreover, they don’t do good to the environment as they’re usually thrown to the landfills. Because of this, it can be a good idea not to use packing tapes during your relocation. Instead, quarter fold your moving boxes to close them securely without using tape.
Also, to ensure that your boxes are safe and secure even without tape, you should do the following:
- Avoid packing heavier items all together. Pair the heavier ones with lighter items.
- Put a cookie sheet at the bottom of the box to make it sturdier.
- Carry the boxes on the side to avoid it from opening and the items from falling out.
However, if you really need to seal your boxes with tape, it’s best to use paper tape. There are many paper tapes to choose from in the market, so don’t hesitate to find the right one for your needs.
With everything that’s going on with the planet, executing an eco-friendly move can be a perfect way to protect the environment. Therefore, if you’re concerned about Mother Nature, follow the tips mentioned above so you can maintain zero waste for your upcoming home relocation.