In this Post we have provided details on what is What is Spooler Subsystem App Error and How to fix What is Spooler Subsystem App Error. Spooler is windows service responsible for managing all print jobs currently being sent to the computer printer or print server. The print spooler program allows you to delete a print job being processed or otherwise manage the print jobs currently waiting to be printed.
In this post we will discuss How to fix Spooler Subsystem App error. Spooler Subsystem App issues symptom can include program lock-ups, slow PC performance, system freezes, startup and shut down problems, installation errors, and hardware failure. It is essential to eliminate this error in the shortest time.
The Spooler Subsystem App is a legitimate process as it manages your printer and fax systems. The Spooler Subsystem App only needs internet access if you’re using the printer on your network. If your computer is directly connected to the printer or fax, you can safely deny it access to the internet. Here’s How to Get Chegg Free Trial Account
What is Spooler Subsystem App
Spooler SubSystem App is a legal and essential component of Windows which is used to spool printer jobs. Printing is impossible if Spooler service is stopped or malfunctions. However, there are several known spyware anв trojans that pretend to be legal Spooler SubSystem App. Here’s details about VLC Chromecast – How to stream from VLC to Chromecast
They usually have the same name or one of the following names: spoolsv.exe, spoolsu.exe, spoolsv0.exe, spoolso.exe, SP00LSV.EXE (please notice that there are zeroes in this file name, not letters) and some others. Please note that legal spoolsv.exe should reside in Windows\System32 folder and should not appear in startup list.
What is spoolsv.exe?
A Microsoft Windows file stored in the c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 directory that has the file description: Spooler SubSystem App. This file is responsible for how Microsoft Windows handles print and fax jobs on your computer.
The spoolsv.exe is using 99%, 100%, or other high amount of CPU.
When the spoolsv.exe is using 99% to 100% of the CPU it is caused when there are still printer jobs in the Windows spool. To manually remove these print jobs follow the steps below.
- Open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel double-click the Administrative Tools and then Services.
- Within services locate Print Spooler and right-click it and select Stop.
- Once this process has been stopped leave the windows open and open My Computer and browse the below folder.
- In this folder delete all the files in the PRINTERS folder. Once these have been deleted you can right-click the Print Spooler in the Services window and click Start to re-enable the service.
If this does not resolve your issue it’s likely you have an issue with your printer drivers you have installed for your printers or you have a trojan, virus, or worm infected on the computer. Make sure you have the latest printer drivers for your printer. A listing of printer drivers can be found through our printer drivers page. Additionally, make sure you have an antivirus protection program on the computer and that it is up-to-date.
Spooler Subsystem App error And How to Fix
There is 3 common reasons of Print Spooler errors. Files can become corrupted under the influence of printing software, malicious activity (spooler virus), and even after Windows Update. Printer driver incompatibility is an actual problem for old printers, when last released driver is not compatible with new operating system.
Reasons of Spooler Subsystem App error
When the Spooler service is stopped or malfunctions, printing is not possible. To prevent further problems with your computer, this error should be fixed immediately. Print Spooler error symptoms can include high CPU usage, documents in the queue won’t print or delete, lock-ups, slow PC performance, disk space errors, and system freezes.
- Spooler Subsystem App may happen when the hard disk has not sufficient space.
- computer BIOS might be incompatible or it might need to be updated.
- video adapter drivers may be incompatible
- device driver or a system service might be damaged.
- Bad third party program.
One way to solve the problem is to reboot. In most cases the undeletable print job will disappear after the restart. But, I have also experienced cases when even a reboot wouldn’t remove the erroneous print job from the queue. However, there is a way that always works and is also faster.
Method 1 to Fix Spooler Subsystem App error
1) Scan your system for possible trojans or spyware including spoolsv.exe, spoolsu.exe, spoolsv0.exe, spoolso.exe or SP00LSV.EXE.
2) Stop Spooler service by executing «net stop spooler» command.
3) Go to system Spool and printer’s Temp directories (the exact name of folder will vary from printer to printer) and delete all files with .shd and .spl extensions.
4) Delete all registry keys that contain information about printer’s Job Queue. Please refer to your printer’s manual and Microsoft web site to determine exact keys which contain information about printer jobs.
5) If you are trying to add printer and receive error message when trying to install printer drivers, this is right place to try adding printer again.
6) Start Spooler service by executing “net start spooler” command.
Method 2 to Fix Spooler Subsystem App error
If the reason of your print spooler problem is in the corrupted or incompatible drivers, then this method will fix Print Spooler error in Windows 8. If not then try to restart Print Spooler Service:
1.Right-click the lower left corner of the computer screen to open the menu.
2.Click Search, then click Settings.
3.In the Search box type type Services.
4.From the search results list, click View local services.
5.Scroll down the list until you find Print Spooler.
6.Right-click Print Spooler and select Restart
Method 3 to Fix Spooler Subsystem App error
1) Boot your system in Safe Mode
2) Locate “spoolsv.exe” file in C:\Windows\system32\ folder
3) Replace it with downloaded file
4) Do the same with files “spoolss.dll“, “localspl.dll” and “winspl.dll”
5) Boot your system in Normal Mode
Method 4 to Fix Spooler Subsystem App error
1) Press Win + R on your keyboard
2) Type in “regedit” without quotes
3) Locate this tree node HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler
4) To the right-hand side of the window locate “imagepath” icon
5) Double-click on it and type in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe and press Enter
Method 5 to Fix Spooler Subsystem App error
1) Right-click on “My computer“, select “Manage”
2) Locate “Services in services and applications“, click on “Services”
3) To the right-hand side locate “print spooler” service, double-click on it
4) Set Startup type as “Automatic“, apply
5) Start the service
Method 6 to Fix Spooler Subsystem App error
- Logon as Admin
- Start – type in Search box -> COMMAND – find at top of list and RIGHT CLICK – RUN AS ADMIN
- you can copy and paste each line in except the ones in brackets and hit enter after each.
- net stop Spooler
- (will echo Deleting all print jobs) <– you should see this returned
- ping localhost -n 4 > nul
- del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
- net start Spooler
- (will echo Done!) <– you should see this returned
- ping localhost -n 4 > nul
Is “Spooler Subsystem App” a Virus? It keeps me from, Spooler Subsystem App has stopped working,spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem, Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed.
So in this post we have provided you many steps to fix Spooler Subsystem App error. Hope this works for you. Do mention your queries regarding Spooler Subsystem App and comment any other method to fix Spooler Subsystem App error if you know.