Due to the phenomena of many natural and human-made disasters which are unpredictable but suddenly happening, a lot of people are now starting to look for information that will help them survive to the possible catastrophic situation which might occur in the future.
Since the causes of natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, landslides, floods, and other else are the results of the movements of the Earth or extreme weather, these catastrophes are inevitable. Although all of these phenomena are different from how it could affect people, the following are the general emergency survival tips so that, in any circumstance, there are higher chances of survival.
Furthermore, the following are the survival skills everyone should know because these will serve as a disaster survival guide.
1. Know the evacuation routes.
If your home is safe for the disaster, you need to know the evacuation routes within your house throughout going out to the village or subdivision. However, if the authorities will declare a mandatory evacuation, make sure to listen to the local media about the places you need to avoid. By this time, aside from the television which the news might be delivered, prepare your best shortwave radio so that if ever there will be power off of electricity, you will still be updated with the situations outside.
2. Talk and create a family emergency plan
Before doing anything else that entails your survival, make sure that you give at least 5 minutes with the whole family to talk and create a disaster survival planning; this will serve as your emergency plan in any situation. By this, all of the members of the family will be oriented with the procedures to anything that will happen. At the same time, you can talk about the possible survival tips and tricks with the elder member of the family.
3. Assemble an emergency kit.
In a tote bag or waterproof bag, make sure that you carry the necessary documents and kit to survive from the disaster. Aside from the records, including in your emergency survival list the medicine and hygiene supplies, non-perishable foods and water, identification cards, checkbooks, cash, keys, a list of essential phone numbers. These will help you a lot to survive.
4. Have a full tanked gas.
If you will stay at home, but you have an automobile, you need to make sure that it is filled with gas still so that if it is necessary for you to evacuate, you are not going to worry about the fuel. So, always refill your gas tank in many cases.
Together with these survival tips, make sure that you have the necessary survival kit. So in any moment that the calamity has started its way to become severe, prepare your disaster survival kit list and then follow it as much as possible even if you decided to stay at home or during a sudden evacuation. Thus, to help you with the kit you will prepare, the following are the recommended ones for your survival with its brief explanation.
- Water. It is for hydration purposes. Since a human body needs water throughout the day, make sure to secure this.
- Food. For your hunger, be sure to keep non-perishable foods ready-to-eat or even within sachets.
- Can opener. If you bring canned goods, make sure to bring this.
- Flashlights and extra batterie. During night time, it will help you the most.
- Cell phones and charger. Since everyone is hooked with their phones for personal communication, make sure that your phone has load and charger so that you can contact your friends or relatives immediately.
Keep your phone and other communication devices properly protected.
Medicine and hygiene. To stay away from viruses because of an open wound during the disaster, secure these supplies that include sanitizers, wipes, and the likes. Safe also medicines for stomach ache, headache, and any other else.
- Cash. Electronic funds may shut down, so have money on your pocket as much as possible.
- Important document. These include your driver’s license, checkbooks, and credit cards, Proof of insurance, the deed to your house or house title or proof of address, social security cards, and a list of personal contacts.
- Shortwave radio. As there may be chances of blocking signals to cables, consider the best shortwave radio to stay connected with the updates within your area.
These natural disaster survival guides are intended to help everyone in the possible situations that need immediate attention. By planning and practicing your family about the procedures and plans in case of a natural disaster or any other emergency cases will increase the chance of your survival together with your safety. Above all else, it is also suggested that you should practice evacuating your home at least twice a year so that you can exercise your family’s preparation and planning .