Fix Runtime Broker – RuntimeBroker.exe is a safe Microsoft process included in Windows 8 and Windows 10 to assist with app permissions. It has a light system footprint, using less than 3,000 k of RAM. You’re not going to see a performance hit from this process running in the background.
If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then, on the Processes tab, check to see how much memory Runtime Broker is using. If its using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC.
To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer. We have also posted about How to Fix iastordatasvc High CPU Issue, How to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue and How to Block a website on Chrome Browser.
What is Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue
The Runtime Broker process was created by Microsoft and is a core process in Windows 8 and Windows 10. It helps manage permissions for apps from Windows Store on your Windows 10. Normally, it should use just a little memory and has a very low CPU usage. But for some reasons, Runtime Broker exactly has High CPU Usage to make your Windows 10 run slowly.
The file RuntimeBroker.exe is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Known file sizes on Windows 10/8/7/XP are 73,328 bytes (31% of all occurrences), 66,600 bytes.
Many of you think that Runtime Broker is Virus, But no, The Runtime Broker is not Virus. The true RuntimeBroker.exe file is a safe Microsoft Windows system process, called “Runtime Broker”. However, writers of malware programs, such as viruses, worms, and Trojans deliberately give their processes the same file name to escape detection.
Since it is used for managing apps from Windows Store, Runtime Broker is necessary for protecting your Windows 10 security and privacy when running those apps. so do not disable Runtime broker to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue.
How to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue
It should only use a few megabytes of memory, but in some cases, a faulty app might cause Runtime Broker to use up to a gigabyte of RAM or more. If your RAM use is high and your PC is running slowly, an app may be the cause of the problem.
Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then, on the Processes tab, check to see how much memory Runtime Broker is using. If it’s using more than 15% of your memory, you probably have an issue with an app on your PC. Follow below Methods to fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue.
1. Disable get tips, tricks and suggestions
Many Windows 10 users reported that disabling Windows tips immediately drops CPU Usage. One common fix is to disable the application that is responsible for displaying tips and suggestions to Windows users.
- Use Ctrl-I to open the Settings application on Windows 10.
- Switch to System > Notifications & Actions.
- Locate “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows”, and switch the preference to off.
Hope this method of How to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue works for you, if not try below method.
2. Limit the number of apps which are running in the background
There are many apps which are running in the background and are of no use. you can stop then or Limit the number of apps that can run in the background. they will continue to run even if they are not in the foreground. You may control the behavior in the following way:
- Use Windows-I to open the Settings application.
- Go to Privacy > Background Apps.
Toggle any application that you don’t want to run in the background to off. This may remove functionality such as the application’s ability to send notifications or stay up to date.
3. Use SFC /SCANNOW To Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue
Some installations, tuning tools and viruses may impersonate or damage Windows system files. The SFC (System File Checker) utility examines your Windows files for errors and restores damaged files. An activity log is stored in the Windows folder as \Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Sfc Scan is a great command run by CMD which can help you to repair your Windows by just typing a single command in the Windows Command Prompt.
- Open CMD, as an administrator.
- Then type the command “Sfc /Scannow” and hit enter. Make sure you don’t close this CMDwindow until the verification gets 100% completed.
- Restart your computer and test it.
- Hope this method of how to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue worked for you, If don’t, then just move to the next solution.
4. Uninstall Application Causing High CPU Usage
If you notice that the high load, memory or disk use of Runtime Broker is caused by a particular application, you may do the following:
- If the app is not essential, uninstall it and be done with the issue.
- If the app is essential, check for updates. If an update is available download and install it to see if it resolves the issue.
- If that is not the case, try uninstalling the app, and installing it again after a PC restart.
5. Check If Runtime Broker is Virus!!
you may also want to check whether Runtime Broker is a legitimate Windows process, or if it is a virus. The easiest option to find out is to check if RuntimeBroker.exe is located in c:\windows\system32.
- Use Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
- Locate the Runtime Broker process there under processes.
- Right-click on the process, and select the “open file location” menu item.
This opens the location on the computer the process has been started from. If Location is c:\windows\system32\ then its fine or location is different than then this is Virus and you need to delete this File to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue.
6. Perform Disk Cleanup
When your hard drive fills up, Windows runs slower. With the help of the well-known Disk Cleanup tool, you can get easily get rid of temporary files that just take up space and that Windows doesn’t need any more. To run the command cleanmgr in Windows 10/8 ▾, please do the following:
- Press Windows key + Q.
- Enter cmd, followed by the combination Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run it as Administrator.
- Enter the command cleanmgr and press Enter.
Hope after performing disk Cleanup you are able to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue. Just Restart your PC and Try if everything looks fine or not.
7. Stop Runtime Broker From Task Manager
To stop Runtime Broker from using so much memory, select Runtime Broker in the list, select End task to close Runtime Broker, and then restart your computer.
- Use Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
- Right-click on Runtime Broker in the processes list.
- Select End Task from the context menu that opens up.
- Restart the PC.
This is only a temporary solution, as Runtime Broker will launch again the next time a Universal Windows Application is started.
So these are some methods of How to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue. Hope now you have resolved your issue of Runtime Broker Disk Usage. if you are Facing Any issues in any method to Fix Runtime Broker Disk Usage Issue comment below and we will try to resolve your query.